NASA astronaut and Gen Xer, Karen Nyberg. Image Source: Wiki.
This story comes from the excellent blog, Spaceports, whose blogger discovered a Youtube video showing Expedition 36/37 (Soyuz TMA-09M) Flight Engineer Karen Nyberg demonstrating how she washes her hair aboard the International Space Station. Walgreens advertises the no-rinse shampoo that Nyberg uses for $7.99 here. The shampoo's features:
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- Soft, clean, manageable hair without water.
- Ready to use.
- Absolutely no water necessary.
- Just apply, lather and towel dry.
- Hospital tested and approved.
- Leaves hair fresh, clean and odor free.
- The choice of healthcare professionals throughout the world.
- Effective, efficient personal hygiene since 1948.
- No Rinse Shampoo is the comfortable, convenient and safe alternative to traditional shampoos.
- pH Balanced to be mild and non-irritating to the scalp, hair is left sparkling clean, odor free, soft and manageable.
- Used by NASA.
- Made in USA.
Apply generously until hair is completely wet. Massage to a rich lather. Immediately towel dry with an absorbent towel. Repeat for heavily soiled hair. No Rinse Shampoo can be used as often as necessary.
The Soyuz TMA-09M mission patch. Image Source: Wiki.
ISS mission 36 mission patch. Image Source: Wiki.
ISS mission 37 mission patch. Image Source: Wiki.
The Soyuz TMA-09M mission members, Fyodor Yurchikhin, Karen L. Nyberg, and Luca Parmitano in Red Square before their mission, 8 May 2013. Image Source: Wiki.
See the video below the jump.
Video Source: Youtube.